This year, I'm struck by these four ... Aims? Values? Commands? Watchwords? Modes of thought?
All of the above.
I'm not currently sure if these are in any order or not.
Presume they are real and that they are you in the future
- Be bold: Venture out, whether "out" is physically out and about, or out of your comfort zone. Exploration is always just the idea of going somewhere else.
- Be curious: Ask questions. Questions are a form of pathfinding.
- Be repectful: Say thankyou. Leave only footsteps and impressions. Never assume you are welcome, but always bring yourself with you.
- Be ruthless: Practise detachment in order to dispose of what is unnecessary. Use brutal self-honesty as a way to chisel out your own space.
- Be appreciative: Smile at what you have. It is there for a reason. It will be gone, one day.
- Be selective: Have a reason for acquiring things. The teapot's use comes from emptiness: What you do not have is more important than what you do have.
- Be caring: Feel the flaws. Accept them for what they are, where they come from, and what they can and cannot be in future.
- Be patient: Do not rush; time heals of its own accord, urgency pulls things apart.
- Be generous: Give up your own self, like a jug pours water into a glass. There is only the system that surrounds you and is you. To give something up is not for it to stop being a part of you.
- Be humble: Laugh at your own mistakes. Ignore those of others.
- Be open: Share thoughts as if each was a tiny gift, or an offering.
- Be persistent: Keep going. A little every day is better than a grand gesture.